Friday, September 26, 2008

desk-top critiques + graffito final phase.

The following is a presentation on my group's design ideas (based on the concept of graffito) for a retail center within Revolution Mills.















Desk Top Crits...
This morning our Retail Retold studio had desk-top critiques to review work done thus far.  It seems as though my group's "concept" of graffiti was appreciated by those I spoke with.  During my first critique with Jackie, it was expressed that the several main aspects i was wanting to incorporate into the space (the centralized floor cut-out w/ local art display, the window panels with colored panes/stencil graffiti art-work, and the layered circular floor plan,) are definitely worth pursuing and building-upon.  During my second critique with Emily, I was encouraged to enhance the notion I had surrounding "natural graffiti."  It was really interesting how I shared similar ideas with both of my critique partners.  Jackie and I both wanted to incorporate an opening within the space that exposed the top floor to the bottom and vice-versa.  Emily and I both shared an appreciation for the nature encompassing the area.  
Although the concept of graffiti was welcomed and respected, I was advised to target in on one or two key features of graffiti and focus on incorporating those features of graffiti into the space in a more abstracted way.  Overall I found this mini-critique very useful as an opportunity to gather and organize my thoughts as preparation for moving on to the next step in the process of designing the retail space of Revolution Mill.

1 comment:

suzanne cabrera said...

I'm going to give you exactly the same advice I gave Debbie as I think this will help you abstract the idea of graffiti even further. Here's what I wrote on her blog:

Based on the idea of graffiti, I would encourage you to take a look at a book by Kingston Heath called The Patina of Place. He introduces the idea of "cultural weathering" in which inhabitants leave imprints on the built environment. This is an important book in historic preservation and seeing how you are working with a historic space I think it will be a great resource for your group moving forward.