Monday, October 27, 2008

case study three.

I realize after researching and selecting an assortment of inspirational images for my green party supply store that I appreciate a variety of different features of existing structures. Whether or not I am going to be able to incorporate all of what I found I am unsure since some features are on opposite sides of the design spectrum, however I would like to attempt to.


The first image I came across that caught my eye was that of these Soco Stores, one of which is actually a costumes rental shop that I thought could relate to my party supply store. I realize you’re only able to see the exterior of the shops but they certainly make a statement alone. Despite their in-your-face bold color and pattern choices which some would surely consider “a bit much,” they achieve their goal by being extremely eye catching and spark your curiosity. The storefronts hint shoppers as to what might be found inside. Bright colors and patterns provoke imagery of festive, energetic moments or events such as parties. I intend to use visual applications in a toned-down, but similar way.

- http://www.smallplanetguide.com


The second site of inspiration is a London store for the Russian fashion brand Emperor Moth. This store is without a doubt an experience. It’s use of color; mirrors and lighting create an extremely dynamic, vibrant space. In fact, their use of mirrors adds another dimension to the store. I would love for my green party supply store to possess a wow-factor as the Emperor Moth boutique does that would encourage consumers to visit so that they can experience the shop as well as obtain the merchandise they desire.


- http://www.dezeen.com


Third is a drawing I did of an image out of Architecture Now! 5. It is actually a museum in Guben, Germany that embodies many of the qualities I hope to incorporate into my shop. I appreciate the use of diverse materials brought together harmoniously in a single space. From the reflective metal found on the ceiling to the glass and wood found within the display cases, this museum makes use of material to create different textures throughout. In addition, I really enjoy how they use large-scale text that serves the purpose of describing displays as well as adds visual appeal.

- "Architecture Now! 5" (Philip Jodidio)


Next are two images of two shops whose clean and simple design speaks to modernity, which I am a huge fan of. I admire designers who are able to be minimalists yet have their creations express an amazing quality. I believe retail stores demand a level of simplicity so that shoppers are able to easily navigate through them and locate what they’re looking for.

- http://www.momoy.info/uploads/interior-design

- http://indigomag.files.wordpress.com


The following is another drawing I did of an image out of Architecture Now! 5. A very important goal of mine is to primarily use recycled materials throughout my green party supply store. This is the Freitag Flagship Store in Switzerland. They have commendably reused shipping containers to create their entire store. In addition, a surprisingly modern interior of the store contrasts the more rugged exterior. An intentional juxtaposition usually adds interest as it has here.

- "Architecture Now! 5" (Philip Jodidio)


Over the years thus far as an Interior Architecture student, I’ve learned the importance of thinking your designs through on a large-scale as well as on a small-scale. I believe I’ve struggled with this in the past but what I’ve found here helps me to realize the endless possibilities. This is a collection of images from a Ben Sherman clothing store that has formulated a brand for itself through the assemblage of multiple small-scale design decisions, which I find very interesting. I particularly enjoy the jeans stashed away on the bookshelf, which adds a humorous element to the space.

- http://www.bensherman.com


Finally, I found an image in Visual Merchandising of the Alexander McQueen store that addresses a method of display within a store that strays from the norm (which I aspire to do with my designs.) The fixtures drip down as an extension from the ceiling and then appear to float above the floor. I believe it’s important for fixtures within a space to not seem as though they’ve just been added on or placed in without much consideration for the rest of the space. I would like for the fixtures within my green party supply store to appear as a part of the structure of the space, as the fixtures in the image do, allowing the merchandise to stand out. I would also like to use lighting within my display fixtures as the designer of the Alexander McQueen store has.

- Visual Merchandising (Tony Morgan)


From here, I intend to pull from and abstract features found within this collection of images in order to continue the process of designing my green party supply store.

No comments: